In the culture course, our teacher Gustavo explained the history and current events of the country. This clarified the origins of Brazilians, their issues, failures and triumphs in government, and most importantly, where they stand today. I now know basic Samba and Capoeira dancing steps, have tried the delicious Brazilian barbecue, and interacted with the very accepting people of Brazil (especially as my Portuguese is not very strong).
Even the other members of the dialogue aided this cultural experience. Upon the initial arrival in the TRYP Hotel people seemed to gravitate towards the other people they knew previously. As time progressed everyone on the dialogue bonded and I feel I meet many genuine people. Furthermore everyone seemed to always be passionate about the activities we did which greatly increased the learning as well as the fun of the trip.
My last comment will be on the other course I took on alternative energy. One of the most powerful indicators of how Brazil became so energy independent was a map of Earth at night. In Brazil only a few lights in major cities are visible in space. In the United States, everything east of the Mississippi River is lit up brightly. In Brazil they use far less electricity. The streets are not lit as much, if you leave your hotel power is shut off to it, and house have more open designs to allow wind to cool the building instead of air conditioning. Also Brazil used the 1970s oil crisis to switch cars to use ethanol as fuel and developed a myriad of hydroelectric dams from its many rivers to power its cities. Overall the course introduces and stated the limitations and benefits of each renewable source, and its possible usage in the United States.
As I return to the United States, I will definitely be greeted by many great customs such as great septic systems, enhanced safety (I can listen to my iPhone while walking down the street), everyone speaks English, far less dangerous intersections. But despite these benefits, I know this will not be the last time I go to Brazil.
_Default.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment